2013年5月22日星期三

An old couple, one stamp shop, another raining day, my day.



I have been worried about my project since the day at Urban Spree one girl in our group found her target. This trip in Berlin is never only about enjoying and exploring this city, we come here as a college student as well, I keep reminding myself. 

But... the first day wondering in the street did not turn out well. 
I finally decided to do my project from the perspective of a foreigner who strives to live his life in this international European country, and I found my guy. He is from Venezuela and now selling tickets for city-sight seeing bus. Interview questions kept poping up in my mind, and I wrote him an email to set up our interview time, I was really excited about this. However, I waited and waited, he never reply my email. 

What should I do? Go to the street again! 
Lucky enough, a perfect shop came up. I actually passed by it before, but it was closed then.
It is a stamp shop, you could sell, buy or have your stamps evaluated here. They also do coins. This small shop is owned by an old couple. It has witnessed the form and falling of Berlin Wall and the war, it was first owned by the old lady's father in 1932. See? Exactly the place I was looking for! I mean, not the one I mentioned above, it is my first picture of this project: old people who went through the war now is running some small business in this city. I want to bring some history into my project. After all, that is what makes Berlin so special from other European countries.

But, again, as I expected, they are not good English speakers, like me. Lol. We tried sign language, Google translator, any kind of means to communicate. I am glad that they are both nice and patient people. The lady talked to me when her husband was taking care of his guests. Finally, I was not able to discuss more profound topics with them considering the language barrier. But I know the book shelves, stamps, empty envelops and coins are all of great importance, to their old owners, to their new owners, and to this city. They are like the survivors from the war, and they are still gonna witness more changes happening in this city and keep the story going.

I cannot believe these small stamps just made my day. Anyway, it is Berlin. I am so grateful.

没有评论:

发表评论