2013年5月18日星期六

The first day at Berlin: get my feet wet


My most basic knowledge of Germany can be concluded as World War II, car, football, and beer. After our four-hour bike tour of the city today, which was exciting and cold because it’s raining and windy, my impression of the capital became complex. Though we really looked like tourists so much, exploring the city by bicycle made me feel I am part of it.

Before I came, I reviewed the movie the Pianist, and I was looking forward to seeing a cold, quiet and unimaginative post-war city. It turned out that I could barely relate the intense emotions I got after the movie to what I feel right now. This city is full of creativity. You can find graffiti everywhere and the architectural style is quite unique, like a combination of modern and historic. You can find flowers on every balcony, like every Berliner is a gardener. You can find people drinking beer outside a convenience store or at an open-door restaurant around the corner, in the morning.


Maybe not every big international city has to be like New York City or Shanghai where I am more familiar with. It could be peaceful and passionate the same time. Though streets at Berlin are filled with cigarette litters, pieces of beer bottles and all kinds of extremely colorful posters on the wall, I don’t hate it at all, it only makes this city more real and free. Maybe it is because of the rain, I am getting emotional.

1 条评论:

  1. 站在电车中间拍照看着很危险的样子……
    第二段的最后一句话有typo哦,找到了香一个。我现在身处DC,感觉这里的首都也有一份不一样的味道,听广洋说特区的人出名的友好,我在地铁总是遇到看到我迟疑就主动伸出援手的路人,办理各种手续的时候也常遇到十分耐心很有东道主样子的职员。经历过迈阿密,这里的风貌显得格外难得。DC很有它的格调,你我已经各自来过,希望将来能和你一起再来一趟。

    回复删除